How to cook herring in Korean at home
Have you matured for something new? Find a little patience and free time for self-improvement? Then surprise your relatives with unusual dishes from simple herring. Prepare it with a “spark” in the best traditions of Korean cuisine.
Food prepared for the table in the Asian style, even adapted to a set of domestic substitute products, will always leave behind a characteristic intriguing aftertaste.
Step-by-step recipe for cooking herring in Korean at home:
- Prepare marinade for snacks. In an enamelled ladle on the stove, bring to a boil a mixture of vegetable oil and tomato paste. Boil for 3-5 minutes and add vinegar, salt, a pinch of cilantro seeds, fragrant and hot peppers. Mix well and leave to cool on the stove;
- Frozen fish carcasses should be removed from the freezer and thawed out a little at room temperature in a deep plate or bowl. Do not thaw the fish completely, otherwise it will lose the aesthetically attractive appearance — it will turn into a mess when cutting;
- Prepare a workplace, spread out a piece of paper or a plastic bag on the bottom and proceed to the filing of herring;
- Use a sharp knife to gently rip the abdomen of the fish, making sure that the incision is exactly in the middle, and it is also not advisable to damage the valuable contents — caviar or milk. Clean the abdomen with the knife from the entrails and films. Caviar (milk) set aside on a saucer. Cut fish heads with fins and tails, rinse under running water;
- Spread the carcass on the prepared bottom, make a deep longitudinal incision along the entire ridge, cut the dorsal fins. Unhurriedly, remove the skin, starting from the head;
- It remains only to remove the ridge and small bones. The fish is completely cut. Ideally, you got a fillet (a few pieces), which must be cut into longitudinal strips 3-3.5 cm wide;
- Peel the bulbs and cut them into rings;
- Cut caviar (milt) and combine with fish pieces;
- In a deep dish (glass, ceramic or enameled) lay out onion rings, on them strips of fish and spicy tomato fill. So several times, alternating layers. Top with onion rings and tomato marinade. Cover with a plate or a lid on top (it doesn’t hurt light weight, but this is not necessary) and put it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. Hold at least 3.5-6 hours;
- Serve the finished fish on a separate plate with onion rings, garnished with fresh herbs.
- 300-400 grams of salted herring;
- 4-6 medium carrots;
- 1.5 tablespoons of soy sauce;
- 1 small onion;
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar (9%);
- 4-5 cloves of garlic;
- 2 pinches of cilantro powder;
- a mixture of peppers to taste;
- red hot pepper on the tip of a knife (to taste);
- salt and sugar to taste (1/2 and 1/3 tsp);
- 20 grams of sesame seeds;
- 50 grams of vegetable oil.
Snack preparation time is about 2 hours. Calorie per one hundred servings — 135 kcal.
- Peel the carrot, rub on a special shredder for Korean carrots or cut into thin long straws. Put in a deep salad bowl (pan);
- Sprinkle the carrot with a mixture of peppers, cilantro powder, squeeze 2 cloves of garlic, add salt, sugar;
- Fry the peeled and chopped onion with garlic in vegetable oil. When they acquire a golden color, remove the pan from the stove and remove them from the fragrant oil. Pour the fragrant composition prepared carrot and mix well;
- Herring fillet cut into small pieces at your discretion, add to the carrot;
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar and hot peppers in a bowl and season the dish generously. Mix thoroughly, put under a press for a couple of hours;
- Finished snack is best served chilled, sprinkled with sesame seeds (optional).
Sauce for meatballs — delicious, thick, rich, it is perfect for any side dish.
How to make Irish coffee — a few exquisite recipes of this delicate and tasty drink.
Read how to make homemade pork sausage in our article.
- 0.6-0.7 kg of fresh or frozen herring;
- 0.2 kg onions;
- 0.3 kg of carrots;
- bag of seasonings for Korean carrots;
- 2 cloves of garlic;
- a glass of vinegar (9%);
- 1/4 cup sugar;
- salt to taste;
- 2 pinches of cilantro seeds;
- 50 milliliters of soy sauce;
- 20 milliliters of deodorized vegetable oil;
- a teaspoon of hot red pepper powder;
Cooking time — 3-4 hours. Caloric content: per 100 grams 118 kcal.
The recipe for making heh of herring in Korean:
- Fish pre-thawed, gutted, cut off fins, head, tail. Carefully choose all the small bones. The flesh is cut into not too large pieces and sent to the pan. Fill with a glass of vinegar and leave for 20-30 minutes;
- Peel the vegetables. Onions cut into thin half-rings, carrot grate on a special grater (thin straws). Garlic cloves skip through the garlic;
- Grind cilantro seeds on a coffee grinder;
- Drain the liquid from the herring and squeeze it slightly by hand, without breaking its structure (fold it in a colander);
- Combine herring, onion, carrot, garlic, Korean carrot seasoning, cilantro, hot pepper in one bowl. Season everything with soy sauce, vegetable oil, add salt and sugar and mix well;
- Let the snack stand for 1.5-2 hours.
Never marinate in aluminum or cast iron, it is prone to oxidation, the final taste of the product will not please you. Use containers made of glass, ceramics, enameled pans without damage and internal chips, high-quality plastic (for cold foods).
Prepare a workplace for cutting fish, bedding paper and cellophane, it is easier to throw them out than to wash the table and the boards for a long time.