What is pepperoni, how to cook sausage and a popular pizza with the same name
In different areas of activity there are international words that are understandable to a resident of any country. In cooking, one of these words was the word «pepperoni.» What does it mean, where did it come from and how to cook the dishes that are called by this word? All of this will be discussed below.
Now the first common meaning is the hot sausage (with pepper) from a mixture of beef, pork and chicken meat, which became popular in America thanks to the Italian immigrants who started its production in the New World.
Two other values are pizza, for the filling of which the above-mentioned spicy sausage is used, and tomato sauce, also used in the process of making pepperoni pizza.
If we talk about the original meaning, pepper pepperoni is not one particular kind of pepper, but a collective name denoting more than 50 kinds of paprika. Homeland Pepperone are tropical areas of America, where, and now you can find it in its wild form.
The most popular pepperoni pepper:
- peperoncini or golden greek pepper;
- banana peper, which grows on the territory of America and is also called American banana pepper;
- peperoni piccante is also known as sweet chilli pepper.
Of course, one should not forget about hot hot peppers, which are used in the preparation of many national Italian dishes in fresh, dried and pickled form, both ripe red and green.
The famous sausage pepperoni is easy to make at home, as it has been done by mistresses in its homeland in Naples for more than one century. This process is not complicated, but rather long in time, so you have to be patient with before trying homemade pepperoni.
Cooking instruction in steps:
- Well-cooled, even a little frozen meat mince. Then the stuffing must be carefully repulsed, before the appearance of white fibers in it. You also need to make sure that the temperature of the stuffing during work does not fall below 12 degrees Celsius;
- Send the minced meat into the fridge for a day so that it is ripe. After aging, the meat will darken, and its consistency will change slightly;
- Add wine, spices, sugar, salt and ascorbic acid to the minced meat. Paprika will give the finished product a beautiful color, and cayenne pepper — sharpness. Separately, it should be said about the nitrite salt. It acts as a preservative and prevents the appearance of botulism. Ascorbic acid is also a preservative and color stabilizer;
- Receive the stuffing to fill the shell, releasing the air and tying them every 25-30 cm. Small air bubbles that can not be expelled, you just need to pierce a thin needle;
- Sausage blanks should be sent to dry in a well-ventilated area with a temperature of 10-12 degrees Celsius. Duration of drying will be from 6 to 8 weeks.
How to cook red rice — a few recipes for dishes that are not only tasty but also useful.
How to cook a delicious omelet from cottage cheese — a recipe for a delicious and healthy breakfast.
The cauliflower casserole recipe is here.
Pepperone is a very popular ingredient of the pizza of the same name, which is also called «Pizza Diabola» («Devil’s Pizza»). So flat cake with a special tomato sauce, spicy salami, mushrooms, which emphasize the sharpness of the sausage, and mozzarella cheese won the hearts of not only spicy food lovers.
For the dough and pizza toppings will need:
- 420 ml of drinking water;
- 70 g fresh pressed yeast;
- 50 ml of olive oil;
- 10 g of sugar;
- 500 g of flour;
- 150g pepperoni sauce;
- 100 g pepperoni sausage;
- 100 g canned or fried champignons;
- 400 g mozzarella cheese.
It will take about 1.5-2 hours to knead the dough and bake.
The caloric content of a hundred grams fragrant yeast cake with slices of pepperoni will be 219.5 kilocalories.
How to cook pizza:
- In warm water, dissolve sugar and yeast to activate the latter. After 15 minutes, add olive oil, salt and flour. Knead plastic yeast dough, which is sent to heat in 40-60 minutes;
- Roll up the dough into a thin cake with a diameter of 30 cm, generously grease with sauce, top thin slices of sausage and mushroom slices in random order from above;
- Liberally sprinkle cheese pizza and send to bake in the oven, preheated to the maximum temperature (250 degrees). Baking cakes will be 10-12 minutes.
If the hostess decided to cook pepperoni pizza, then you should not use ready-made tomato sauce or pasta. They can spoil the taste of the finished baking, so do not be lazy, because pepperoni sauce is prepared quite quickly. Time, until the dough comes, is enough.
For the sauce you need to take:
- 600 g ripe tomatoes;
- 20 ml of olive (not sunflower) oil;
- 10 g white crystalline sugar;
- 6 g garlic;
- 5 g dried basil;
- 5 g dried oregano;
- 3 g of salt.
To cook the sauce will take only 30-40 minutes.
Caloric content — 52.8 kcal per 100 g of the finished product.
- Clean the tomatoes with boiling water. Then remove the rind from them and mash with a blender or skip the meat grinder through a fine grate;
- In a skillet or saucepan with thick walls to warm the resulting tomato puree for 10 minutes over medium heat;
- Then add salt, vegetable oil and sugar. The amount of the last ingredient can be increased if the tomatoes are sour. Still simmer the sauce for 10 minutes on fire;
- 3-4 minutes before the end of cooking, send the chopped garlic and dried herbs to the skillet. Cool the prepared sauce before use.