Real Uzbek chicken pilaf is a step-by-step recipe of cooking
I want to offer you today a recipe for pilaf with chicken. Yes, not any, but the most that neither is present. Yes, yes … such, where each rice moves away from rice, and they do not stick together among themselves, as in porridge. With the right proportions of food, and the right cooking time. We will certainly have to work hard, because the real Uzbek dish does not tolerate inaccuracies. But the result will be simply amazing — I guarantee this to you!
The finished dish will turn out the way it is prepared in Uzbekistan. Want this? Then we will not hesitate! The recipe is given with a step by step description, follow step by step, and the result will not take long to wait. After 1.5 hours, fragrant, smoking and divinely delicious pilaf will be on your table.
We will need (for 8-10 servings):
- chicken — 1 kg.
- onions — 1 kg.
- carrots — 1 kg.
- rice — 0.5 kg.
- garlic — 2 heads
- vegetable oil — 0, 5 glasses
- spices — ground, coriander, rosemary
- salt — half tablespoon
- red and black pepper to taste
1. Prepare a chicken. I had a carcass at 1.4 kg. From it I cut off the wings, ridge and parts with thin ribs. Net weight left a little more than 1 kg. I cut the washed and dried chicken into equal pieces, each half into 7 parts.
2. Peel the onions. Tails leave, for them it is convenient to hold the onion when we cut it. If the peel is poorly cleaned, then cut halves can be placed for 2-3 minutes in water at room temperature, so they will be better and faster to clean.
3. Cut the onions into two halves and place them in cold water. Water will wash away the onion juice, and we will save our eyes from tears. Cut the onion into half rings as thin as possible, they should be almost transparent against the light. The remaining tails are thrown out.
4. Cut the carrots into thin strips. As a rule for a beginner this presents some difficulty. But having cut correctly one or two times, then this process will be held effortlessly.
For convenience of cutting, carrots should be chosen medium or large size. The appearance of pilaf depends on how correctly you chopped carrots. As a rule, the mistake is to cut the carrots too thick and short sticks. You must first cut diagonally with long plates no more than 0.5 cm thick, and then with a long straw of the same thickness.
Unfortunately, it is rather difficult to describe the process of cutting carrots into words, so I found a suitable video. On it you can see how to do it.
5. Garlic should be cleaned from the top dusty leaves, and cut to the very base of the place where the root was. There may be earth, and in the dish it is completely useless to us. When the garlic is peeled, yes, you need to keep the head whole, wash it and put it in to the glass.
6. Cook the rice. For cooking, I use long steamed rice, preferably yellow. Pre-soak such rice is not necessary, it should only be thoroughly washed under running water.
7. In a cauldron to warm the oil. It is best to use a cauldron for cooking pilaf, it is cooked quickly and evenly in it, and the most important thing is that it will not burn in it. In extreme cases, you can use another, but certainly thick-walled dishes. You need to take half a cup of oil, not less, otherwise it will turn out to be too dietary, and most importantly, dry.
8. In hot oil, lowering the edge of the cauldron, put the chicken. You do not need to salt or pepper it in advance. So all the juice will remain in the chicken, and the meat will be juicy. Immediately mix skimmer. Until the meat is fried, it will cling to the walls of the cauldron. Therefore, it must be interfered periodically.
9. After about 10 minutes, all the meat turned white, and in some places it blushed slightly. It’s time to lay the bow.
10. While the chicken and onions are roasting, we do not diminish the fire, fry everything on a large fire. In order for the onions to be fully fried it will take about 15 minutes, maybe a little more or less. It depends on the amount of onions and how juicy it is. The juicier the onions, the better. Today he roasted for about 20 minutes.
11. When the onions become completely limp and almost transparent, it is time to plant the carrots. Together with carrots add spices. Mandatory spices for pilaf are zira (cumin) and coriander. Zyry put a tablespoon. You can rub it between the palms directly above the cauldron, so it will give even more flavor. Coriander, ground of course, a teaspoon with a hill.
The remaining spices can be added, but you can limit yourself to just these. Add thyme, rosemary, herbs, turmeric and saffron. I also added half a teaspoon of turmeric, for color. Although a lot of carrots, and so it will give the desired color.
You also need to add black pepper, who loves how much, I added a little less than a teaspoon. And red ground hot pepper, a pinch will be enough — for flavor and taste. Immediately and salt. Until it is enough half tablespoon. To mix everything. The smell is already on the whole house! Outside the house, too, probably went out …
12. Put boiled kettle with water. We will need boiling water.
13. While everyone was laying and stirring, the carrot had already gone limp — for this she needed no more than 5 minutes. Our zirvak is ready. Zirvak is the basis of any pilaf. “What is zirvak, so is plov,” say the Uzbeks! And this is actually the case. Only we still have one more component for this basis — it is garlic.
14. In the center we place the heads of garlic, directly sticking between carrots and chicken. Next, lay out the rice, from which all the water was previously drained. We distribute it evenly over the entire surface, covering the chicken and carrots. Garlic sticks let them stick out, they will not interfere with us.
15. Pour boiling water through the holes in the skimmer. If you pour water directly on the rice, then all the carrots will pop up, and for us it is important to leave it below. Carefully pouring water through the skimmer, we will not damage our layered structure.
Water should be poured about 2 cm above the level of rice. Of course the line will not be immersed in water.
The measure for masters of cooking pilaf is the index finger. The phalanx of the first finger approximately corresponds to this size. But if you are afraid of lowering your finger in hot water, use a Chinese wand. Notice on it where the first phalanx ends, and check by lowering it into a liquid. Moreover, we still need a wand.
16. I want to note one important detail — while everything we did, we did it on a big fire. It is important! Now we are waiting for the water to boil. It gradually becomes a pleasant golden color, properly chopped carrots do their work and give their wonderful color to the dish.
The water boils, let it boil for 3-5 minutes and try not the water, but rather the broth for salinity. For my taste, salt was not enough, and I added another 1/4 of a tablespoon.
17. Now the fire must be reduced to medium. Do not touch or interfere. It is important! Do not be afraid, nothing will burn.
18. After about 10–12 minutes, the entire broth will be absorbed into the rice, and it will swell. And over the entire surface of the rice small holes (They can be clearly seen in the photo), steam will make them and will go outside. Now is the time to make a little mountain.
19. Without disturbing the steam holes, and without stirring anything, simply peel the rice from the edge of the cauldron using a skimmer and forming a slide. Remember how in childhood they built a house in the sandbox. They took the sand from the bottom and threw it on top. At the same time, the middle center remains intact, the necessary steam is concentrated there, it will bring the rice to the desired state. We only slightly cover it from above, forming a hill.
20. And we will help him in this a little. Somewhere alongside we have a Chinese wand, if it is not at hand, take something similar, but at least a spoon. With a stick we make holes a little more.
We stick the stick to the very bottom, and slightly rotating we get a tapered hole. Thus we create passages for steam in 5-7 places. Through them, the excess water will come out, and the pilaf will turn out crumbly and certainly not like porridge.
21. The fire is reduced to the minimum. Close the lid and leave for 10 minutes.
22. After 10 minutes, open the lid, water from the lid should not fall back inside, and see if there is water left in the cauldron. In fact, it should not remain. Not to be confused with oil, it can be misleading. We try rice, it is already ready.
23. Close the lid again, turn off the gas and cover with a towel. Leave for 15 minutes to infuse. If there is water that remains invisible to us, during this time rice will completely absorb it.
24. During this time, chop the greens, we will sprinkle it with the finished dish. If there is basil, cut it, it will also not be superfluous. And make a salad. Well suited to the salad of cucumbers and tomatoes with peppers and fresh herbs, seasoned with vegetable, better than olive oil.
25. Now it is not difficult to buy cakes, or as they are called pita. Get in advance, heat them in the microwave or oven. This bread is the best for pilaf.
26. Ready pilaf must be properly laid out on a large flat plate. A large dish commonly used in Uzbekistan is called Lyagan — or the king of dastarkhan. First laid out rice, then carrots and chicken. Powdered on top with chopped greens. And all is crowned with garlic.
27. The dish is placed in the center of the table. In Uzbekistan, everyone eats crayfish from a common dish. We each served a plate and fork.
Here is our wonderful dish and ready! Eat on health and do not forget about the additive. And when all the pilaf is eaten, you will see a lyagan. Beautiful, like a mountain garden, ringing, deep, painted with amazing signs. Know that when you ate, you consumed the potter’s good wishes with your meal. And of course, the cook, because without good thoughts — good pilaf can not be cooked!
- As you probably noticed, this number of products is designed for 8-10 servings. Why such a calculation? When Uzbeks cook pilaf, they say that one serving requires 1 medium bowl of uncooked rice, which is about 50 grams. And other products are not taken into account, only rice is always considered. We have 500 grams of rice, which means for 10 servings. Some people put more portions, so — for 8 people.
- In general, today I cooked for 5 people. But pilaf does not happen much, it is never cooked on end. Someone wants supplements … And on the second day, he is no worse than the first.
- I have another serious deviation from the rules of cooking. It should be only 1 kg — and meat, and onions, and carrots. But I always break this rule. Meat turns out very tasty, and as a rule it is always not enough. It’s a shame! Therefore, so that everyone ate from the heart — I increase this component.
- I break the rule, and every time I say: “You won’t spoil meat pilaf!” By the way, no one has ever noticed this violation, on the contrary, it seems everyone even likes it!
- A very important moment for newcomers to cooking pilaf! When I first learned to cook it, I always had a problem — how much to pour water into rice? I got the rice that was undercooked, then overcooked, and this caused me great annoyance! I adapted as best I could and tried to achieve the desired result.
- The fact is that earlier pilaf was cooked from that rice, which was. It is now steamed-uncooked, long-short … choose what you need. And I will say right away, the result of steamed rice is always predictable. If you follow the recipe, then there will be no surprise.
- but still, if a surprise happens, I will share my experience, which I received by trial and error when I studied. If suddenly all the water from the rice has already boiled away, and the rice is still hard, then add a little boiling water to each hole made, and cover with a lid, putting it on a small fire.
- if, on the contrary, you have poured more water than you need, then add fire to the maximum and try to boil the water quickly. Then make a slide, holes in it, and further on the recipe. But leave under a towel not for 15, but for 20-25 minutes.
Otherwise, problems should not arise. And if you have any questions, ask, I will be happy to answer you on them.
And on today’s dish I will say one thing; today I had guests who ate my pilaf not the first time, and not the second. They ate, they saw the Lyagan … then they refilled it, they ate it again … At first they were silent, and smacked their lips with pleasure. Then, after eating enough, began to praise. In fact, it turned out to be very tasty and fragrant (the photos really did not work out very well — I’m only learning this at the moment). But here such pilaf is not a shame and in Uzbekistan to file.
And how could it be otherwise, because I was preparing today not only for my guests, but also for you, dear readers. So that you want, and most importantly, can cook the same wonderful and tasty chicken dish.
And in the end I will tell the legend about the pilaf.
She tells that when the Great Tamerlane was going to his regular military campaign, one mullah taught him to cook delicious pilaf: “We need to take a large cast-iron pot. It must be so old that the fat from the old food oozes out and lights up from the flashes of fire falling on it.
It is necessary to put meat not old, but not very young lambs, selected rice, swelling with pride, that will be eaten by brave warriors, young carrots, blushing for joy, and a sharp onion, sting like a sword of a highly esteemed Emir.
All this should be cooked on a fire until the smell of the prepared dish reaches God, and the cook will not fall down in exhaustion, because he will taste the divine food. ”
By the way, how to cook such a pilaf from lamb, I also have a ready-made recipe.