Thrifty housewives recommend always to keep in the kitchen a jar of canned meat. She will help out if there is no time to stand at the stove, and you need to feed the household with a hearty and tasty lunch.
But do not rush to buy canned meat in the store. Home-made stew turns out to be much tastier and healthier than purchased, and even a novice cook can master the cooking technology.
Stew — canned meat stewed in its own juice. Special technology provides long-term storage of the product without loss of nutritional value.
Canned meat can be added to porridge, potatoes, cook soup from it, pasta in a nautical way, or simply eat it in a heated form. The product is used as a filling for pies, casseroles. Canned meat — «magic wand» for hostesses.
It takes much less time to cook a dish if you use stew instead of raw meat.
Meat stew appeared at the beginning of the XIX century. The product was invented by Frenchman Nicolas Upper. He proposed to put boiled meat in a container, previously heated to 115 ° C.
According to the idea of Apper, the container was not completely closed, but a small hole was left. When the product is completely cooled, the gap is blocked.
Such technology provided long storage.
Improved the invention of the Upper British. They “transferred” the meat into cans, which were hermetically sealed.
Soon, this method of preserving meat picked up the Americans and Germans. At the beginning of the 19th century, the stew was classified as an elite product because of the high cost, but closer to the middle, the production of canned food was mechanized, the price of the product fell. Soon, canned meat received the status of «military dish», helped by the war.
It was necessary to provide the army with food that would not spoil for a long time. Stew in cans came in very handy.
Residents of countries of the former Soviet Union taste the stew well. In times of scarcity, the product was in great demand. Meat was brought to shops extremely rarely, but you could buy a can of canned meat.
She rescued housewives by allowing them to cook hearty meals even during a period of total shortages.
The advantages of «canned» meat are highly appreciated by tourists. Stew still helps out during trips and expeditions. Banks do not take up much space in the tourist backpack.
With a simple product you can in a few minutes turn barley or buckwheat cooked on a fire into a culinary masterpiece — simple, but incredibly tasty and satisfying, in nature — the very thing.
Stew is a useful product, but only if it comes to quality harvesting. Unscrupulous manufacturers add flavors to flavor in canned food, flavor enhancers, exceed the amount of sodium nitrite, which increases the shelf life of the product. All this adversely affects the health of the consumer: Preservatives destroy the enamel of the teeth, provoke gastrointestinal diseases.
The stew is not always made from high-quality raw materials: trimming, offal, skin, cartilage, soy are added to the meat. In this case, talk about the benefits of the product is not necessary.
But the stew, cooked at home from high-quality raw materials, can really boast of a rich vitamin and mineral composition. Product contains:
- vitamin E;
- vitamin PP;
- group of vitamins B (except B12);
Cooking homemade stew is easy. However, if you do not know some tricks, canned food may not work.
- Meat selection. Stew should be cooked only from fresh meat. Buy the main ingredient only in proven places. Frozen raw materials can not be used for harvesting. For stew of pork, beef, lamb, you need to take only the meat pulp. In canned chicken, you can add pieces with bones: they become soft, almost not felt.
- Adding fat. The most delicious stew obtained from lean meat, but the fat still must be present in canned food: it nourishes the product with taste, prolongs the shelf life. Housewives recommend taking meat without fat, and the composition of the stew «diluted» with melted lard. This life hack is repeated no matter from which raw material the stew is made (even from poultry).
- Seasoning. Stew should be fragrant. Especially if you plan to put it on the table as a separate dish. A «delicious» smell will provide seasoning. The minimum set — laurel, pepper (ground and peas), salt. But you can experiment: add thyme, oregano, cloves.
- Sterilization cans. Sterilized packaging is necessary. This also applies to the covers. If you skip an important step, canned food can quickly deteriorate or «explode.» You can choose any method of sterilization — over steam, in the oven, boiling water.
There are many ways to cook stew at home. Housewives often turn to three well-known and simple technologies.
- In the oven . The technology involves the laying of raw meat in sterilized jars. The container with raw materials is sent to a cold oven, then the temperature is set to 200 ° C. When the meat boils, the temperature index is lowered to 160 ° C, cooked on (three to six hours).
- In the pan. The principle of cooking is similar to the technology in the oven, but here the banks are immersed in a pot of water. Meat is boiled by temperature from the heated liquid. The stew will be ready in about four hours. A jelly-like consistency around the pieces of meat is formed if a bone is placed on the bottom of the jar.
- Stewing / Frying. Meat can be just stewed or fried, canned. Stew will have a long time — at least three hours. To prevent the cans with the stew from exploding, it is recommended to pasteurize them for 30 minutes after laying the finished meat. Roasted until readiness meat must be poured with rendered fat (for example, the one in which it was cooked): it acts as a preservative.
Pork, lamb, beef, rabbit meat, poultry — any raw material will go to the stew. Even “exotic”: for example, beaver meat. Below are the proven recipes for homemade stew.
You can take any of them, adapt to the type of meat that you have. Remember that cooking time depends on the main ingredient.
Chicken, rabbit can poke less, and pork, beef and fibrous poultry — strictly according to the recipe.
Feature Stew pork at home is obtained at times tastier store. To repeat the recipe, you need to prepare a large thick-bottomed pan. Containers with prepared raw materials should fit into it.
You can experiment with seasonings: for example, add thyme branches, a bit of marjoram to the stew.
- pork — 3.5 kg;
- fat — 300 g;
- onion — three heads;
- salt — 40 g;
- black pepper — 7 g;
- seven allspice;
- Laurel leaves — five pieces.
- Wash the meat, cut it into large cubes.
- Skip the onion through the meat grinder. Mix the onion gruel with pepper and salt.
- Stir seasoning with meat. Send the billet to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the meat is infused, take care of the lids and glass containers — sterilize them in any way.
- Put the bay leaves on the bottom of the containers. Top — pickled pork. For meat — chopped lard. Cover the jars with lids.
- Cover the bottom of the pot with a towel. Put the previously prepared container.
- Pour water into the pan: the liquid should not reach the very edges of the cans.
- Put the pot with containers on medium heat. When the first bubbles appear on the water, reduce the heat to a minimum.
- Tom the billet. Make sure that the water from the pan does not boil. If the fluid becomes low — top up.
- In four hours everything will be ready. It remains only to roll, turn, wrap a warm blanket and leave to cool. It usually takes half a day.
Feature Beef stew at home is juicy, fragrant, melting in the mouth. The recipe involves cooking the stew in a glass jar in the oven.
It is necessary to follow the technology with maximum accuracy, but you can experiment with spices. During cooking and immediately after cooking, the oven door cannot be opened: due to a sharp temperature difference, the glass container may burst.
- low-fat beef — 2 kg;
- lard — 400 g;
- laurel — two leaves on each jar;
- salt, pepper (black, peas) — to taste.
- Cut the meat pulp into large pieces, lard — small.
- Sterilize the jars. Take the calculation: «laurel — beef — fat.» Add spices.
- Cover the meat with foil. This will prevent the juice from flowing out. If the drops fall on a baking sheet, they will smoke.
- Cover the container with covers that will be used for seaming, but do not tighten it yet.
- Put prepared jars of meat in a cold oven. Set to 200 ° C.
- First, watch the stew. When through the oven door you see that the contents of the cans boil, reduce the temperature to 160 ° C.
- Leave the future preservation stew for three hours. After a while, turn off the oven.
- Leave to cool in the oven for two to three hours. When the jars cool down, remove the foil. Roll up the conservation.
Feature Making a homemade rabbit stew for this recipe is simple, but long. Cooking technology suggests that meat will marinate for six hours first.
Need a pan with high sides: the pieces will have to fry.
- rabbit — 1 kg;
- pork lard — 200 g;
- salt — to taste;
- seasonings — at will.
- Divide the carcass. Rinse the rabbit well, dry with a paper towel, cut off the pulp.
- Cut the meat into small cubes.
- Put the workpiece on a tray, salt, leave for six hours in the refrigerator. So go the extra liquid.
- Squeeze meat after the recommended time.
- Melt in a deep skillet lard. Fry meat until tender. At the end, add any seasoning, salt to your liking.
- Sterilize the jars. Put the rabbit pieces into the container, cover with the fat that remained in the pan.
- Roll up the workpiece.
Feature This recipe is best suited for cooking duck, goose meat stew. Pulp stew over low heat.
For these purposes, pick a thick-walled vessel, ideally — utyatnitsu. To make the broth fragrant, add onions, carrots, greens, but they are then removed, and not sent to banks with meat.
- duck — one bird;
- bow — one head;
- carrots — one root vegetable;
- parsley — half a bunch;
- laurel — two leaves;
- peas — six pieces;
- spices — to taste;
- water — by the eye.
- Divide the duck. Separate the meat, remove the veins. Cut the flesh into small pieces.
- Put the meat in the duck. Fill with water: the liquid should cover the pieces of 1 cm.
- Put the stew out.
- Peel the onions and carrots. Add vegetables to the meat when it boils. Here is parsley and peppercorns. Salt is not necessary.
- Simmer for two hours on low heat. When the time is over, remove the vegetables and greens from the broth.
- Cook another half hour. The meat should be soft.
- Salt the stew to taste, add bay leaves. Stew for another 20 minutes. Ultimately, the broth should cover the meat completely.
- Carefully remove the pieces from the utyatnitsa. Place them in pre-sterilized jars, leaving about a centimeter gap on top.
- Pour to the brim of the cans of broth, in which the duck was quenched.
- Roll up the banks. Turn over and leave the stew in this form to cool under a blanket.
You can cook a delicious stew with the help of “helpers” — an autoclave, a slow cooker and even a microwave. The presence of such devices in the kitchen greatly simplifies the process of harvesting canned meat.
Recipes need to be repeated step by step, without changing the technology, but the meat can be taken at your choice. It is also allowed to experiment with seasonings, the main thing is not to overdo it.
Prepare a small batch of stew for the sample: so you can understand how to bring the recipe to the ideal.
Feature This method of cooking allows you to keep a maximum of nutrients in the meat. Another plus is the guaranteed safety of the product: the device ensures complete sterility.
Stew in an autoclave at home preparing for a long time, you need to monitor the pressure, but the result is worth it. Meat turns out juicy, tender, and if you add seasoning — fragrant.
You can take any raw materials.
- meat with fat (pork / beef) — the amount is determined by the size of the autoclave;
- bay leaf — by leaf in a jar;
- black pepper peas — three per container;
- salt, spices — to your own taste.
- Cut the meat into chunks. Salt, season.
- Sterilize containers with covers. In each container, put the bay leaf, pea pepper.
- Spread sliced meat in prepared containers, roll up. Do not tamp, leave 2 cm to the top, otherwise it may tear off the covers.
- Put the blank into the autoclave. It is advisable to use an iron stand.
- Fill the autoclave tank with water. Banks must be covered with liquid.
- Close the machine. Set the pressure on two bars, start heating. It is necessary that the pressure rose to four bar, the temperature — up to 140 ° C. With these figures, the stew is cooked for about three hours.
- At the end of the direct preparation, do not open the autoclave. Let the water cool naturally. It takes about 12-24 hours.
- Get the jars. Stew ready.
Feature In a slow cooker, you can cook a stew of any type of meat. According to this recipe, half the volume is pork, the second half is beef.
It is better to take the pulp with a small fat layer. The recipe involves the addition of forest mushrooms, but you can cook without them.
Stew, cooked by means of the multicooker, is especially tender.
- pork — 0.5 kg;
- beef — 0.5 kg;
- onions — two large onions;
- forest mushrooms (optional) — 0.5 kg;
- laurel — three leaves;
- peppercorns — eight pieces;
- salt, ground black pepper.
- Cut the meat into chunks, the onion into thin half rings. If the mushrooms are large — cut, small ones can be used whole.
- Fold the prepared ingredients into the multicooker bowl. Set the mode «Quenching».
- Simmer for three hours. When time is up, open the lid, add seasonings, mix.
- Close the lid, continue cooking in the same mode for another hour.
- Arrange the prepared stew in sterile jars, roll up.
Feature In the microwave you can make only chicken stew: chicken fillet is cooked quickly. The maximum power of the device should be at least 700 W — otherwise it will not work.
This stew can be stored in the refrigerator for two days, but it is best to immediately serve.
- chicken — 700 g;
- black peppercorns — up to ten peas;
- laurel — three leaves;
- salt — half a teaspoon.
- Wash the chicken, cut into pieces.
- Fold the prepared meat in a deep bowl, designed for cooking in the microwave. Add spices, stir.
- Cover the meat container with a lid. It will not only serve as protection against splashes, but also ensure quick preparation of dishes due to internal steaming.
- Turn on the microwave oven at maximum power. Set the timer to ten minutes.
- Remove the stew container after the signal. Stir the meat for even cooking and distribution of seasonings.
- Place the container in the microwave for another ten minutes. The power is the same — at maximum.
Even a novice mistress will be able to repeat the recipe for braised meat at home. The main thing — to choose the technology that seems to you the most simple.
Do not forget about the proper storage of preservation — only in a cool place. If the stew is conserved with broth, then it should be opened no later than three months after preparation. The stew, which is a piece of meat in a dense jelly with a fat layer on top, is stored for nine months.
Open a jar should definitely keep in the fridge, and only three days. But usually this problem does not arise: homemade stew is so tasty that it diverges right there.
Testimonials: “Simply amazing, without any labor costs.”
Due to the inability to find a normal one in the shops, you have to do it yourself in a slow cooker — it’s just amazing, without any effort (except to cut and lay meat into meat and then add seasonings).
My mother for twenty years every year in 70-80, made a homemade carcass, kept her cattle. Almost a year from autumn to late summer, the stew stood in the pantry on the floor, and it never spoiled.
I made cans of fifty. I do not know the recipe, but I cooked it in a Russian stove, salt, spices, cooked for a long time without boiling.