Who does not like shawarma? In St. Petersburg, of course, they love shawarma, but the essence does not change. This dish, which came from the East, has become almost national and one of the most beloved fast foods.
But fast food is fast food, and it is very difficult to call this food (and even safe) this food, although this is not a reason to refuse shawarma, because you can easily cook it at home, by choosing the best products yourself and not worrying about sanitary diner conditions.
The most popular option is with chicken.
The bulb is cut first into four parts, and then in thin slices, as is done with bell pepper. Cabbage is chopped, cucumbers and tomatoes are cut into pieces, garlic is crushed.
Everything, the vegetable component of shawarma is prepared. Chicken meat is rubbed with salt and pepper and fried in butter until golden brown, and then cut into small pieces.
In a separate bowl, ketchup, mayonnaise and previously minced garlic are mixed (you can still pepper). You can start collecting shawarma.
Lavash leaves are laid out on the kitchen table, and the first layer on them is a bit of fried meat, which you need to sprinkle with a small amount of sauce.
Then put a mixture of all the chopped vegetables and wrap the pita envelopes and fry them on the remaining oil from the roasting chicken for a couple of minutes on each side. Done!
- 4 sheets of thin Armenian lavash;
- 0.5 kg of chicken fillet;
- 300 gr. white cabbage;
- 2 medium tomatoes;
- 2 medium cucumbers;
- 100 gr. Korean carrot;
- 4 tbsp. spoons of ketchup;
- 4 tbsp. spoons of mayonnaise;
- cooking oil for frying.
Preparation time: about 40 minutes.
Caloric content: about 160 Kcal / 100 gr.
Chicken fillet cut into pieces, salt and pepper and fry in butter until golden brown.
Cabbage thinly chop, cucumbers and tomatoes cut into slices.
First lay out the meat on the sheets of pita bread, then put the rest of the products on top and pour them over the sauce. Wrap the shawarma with envelopes and, if desired, fry them in a dry frying pan.
Cake with berries — a bright dessert, before which it is impossible to resist. It is not only tasty, but also useful.
Recipe for chocolate banana cake with photos and step-by-step recipes. Read how to make this dessert.
If you don’t have time for making a cake, bake a cake for tea — to help you quickly pick up the pastries.
The birthplace of shawarma is sunny Turkey — there this dish is made from the same products, but with a completely different sauce, giving it a special flavor and a true oriental touch.
- natural yogurt, mayonnaise and sour cream in equal proportions;
- on a pinch of curry powder and black pepper.
Cooking time: about an hour.
Caloric content: about 150 Kcal / 100 gr.
To prepare an oriental sauce for shawarma it is necessary to grind a grated pickled cucumber and garlic, finely chop the dill and mix everything with the other ingredients.
Another feature of the Turkish shavarma is that pieces of meat for it are fried in a dry frying pan, and a few minutes before being ready for them, sometimes add a few drops of liquid smoke.
Sprinkle the onion with sugar, add a couple of tablespoons of vinegar and pour boiling water on it — when the brine has cooled, the onion is ready. They also put french fries in Turkish shawarma. Thus, it turns out that chicken meat, pickled onions, shredded cabbage, tomato slices, french fries and sauce are laid out on the pita bread.
And the pita bread is used immediately heated in the microwave, so that the shawarma is ready.
Cooking shawarma is a creative thing, so you can safely turn on your imagination and experiment with ingredients and sauce and toppings. But there are some tips:
- Any chicken meat is suitable for shawarma — breast, chicken leg, etc. It is better to have it with fat, but supporters of a healthy diet can cook with breast. An interesting variant of shaverma is obtained using smoked chicken meat.
- You can replace the young white cabbage in the recipe Peking salad.
- You can add grated fresh carrots, parsley, and avocado to the vegetable filling.
- Very well it turns out shawarma, fried in a special grill — so the dish is not soaked with fat, it is immediately prepared on both sides and does not have time to get wet because of the sauce inside, and it turns out less calorie, but no less tasty.
- Thin pita bread for cooking shawarma must be fresh, otherwise it will crack when cracked and inevitably fall apart quickly.
- Sometimes, instead of Armenian lavash, pita is used to make shawarma.
- For the dietary option, the meat can be fried without oil in a grill pan.
- You can add additional flavor to the meat by watering it while frying with a pair of orange juice spoons or pre-marinating it — for example, in onions with lemon juice or one of the special ready-made exotic marinades.
- To prevent shawarma from falling apart during meals, you can lightly sprinkle water with lemon juice when folding the edge of the pita bread — so it will stick together better.
- Heat shawarma in the microwave is prohibited! She will get wet and crawl.
- Vegetarians can replace meat in shawarma beans, including string beans.