Salo has long been loved and eaten in many countries of the world — Russia, Ukraine, Italy, Germany, Poland and others.
In our country, this product is served to the table as an appetizer, as well as as the most traditional dish in the daily diet.
For centuries, this pig production was considered the food of the lowest layers of the population.
The best cuts of meat were always quite expensive.
But, since lard had a high energy value, it was eaten by ordinary people engaged in hard physical labor.
And, for example, in ancient times, Emperor Justinian even issued a special decree, according to which his soldiers were obliged to eat fat every day to increase endurance and strength.
Many historians believe that if it were not for this product, the discovery of America by Columbus did not take place.
The fact is that the main food on the ship traveler was precisely fat.
This pig product has the most valuable quality — these are calories that tend to restore a person’s physical strength for a fairly long period.
100 grams of fat contains about 800 kilocalories.
Of course, this does not mean that people who protect their figure from being overweight should not eat this tasty product.
If you do not abuse it in large quantities, it is very useful to all categories of people.
It contains quite a lot of valuable fatty acids, which are involved in the formation of new cells and hormones.
In addition, acids contribute to the exchange of cholesterol in the body.
Substances for which the product is rich are actively involved in the elimination of harmful toxins from the body.
And those who are physically working hard or are actively involved in sports are recommended to eat up to 150 grams of fat per day.
To make salty bacon tasty, you must first select the original.
When buying, we advise you to pay attention to such moments:
- Buy a product with sandpaper, and the thickness of the piece should be about 3 centimeters.
- Fat should have a uniform consistency, be dense, elastic. Before buying, you can pierce it with a knife right on the counter. In a quality product, this procedure will cause a slight resistance, but the knife will enter the pulp without a jerk.
- For salting, take the fat from the pigs of the females, and not from the boars.
- In the place of the cut a good product will be either pinkish or whitish. Do not buy yellow lard!
Remember that products with layers are better suited for boiling or smoking.
During the pickling process, this type of bacon turns out to be harsh and quickly deteriorates in the refrigerator.
To prepare salted lard at home, there are three main ways.
The cooking is very simple and looks like this:
- Fat is cut into pieces of 5 cm.
- They make cuts and thoroughly rubbed with salt.
- After that, the product is placed under the press. After 5 days, the lower and upper layers are reversed. This operation is performed 2 more times.
- After that, the pieces are pulled, wrapped in cloth and put into storage. It is ready to eat
Here is a video recipe for dry salting:
- Pork lard — 1 kg;
- Garlic — 5 cloves;
- Sweet pepper peas — 6 pieces;
- Onion peels from 6 onions;
- Salt — 100 g;
- Boiled water — 1 liter;
- Foil — 1 sheet;
- Ground black pepper.
Onion peel and bacon should be washed under water and dried.
Pour water into a saucepan, add salt, bring to a boil, throw the husk there and cook for 10 minutes.
After that, put lard in boiling water and cook for 45 minutes over low heat.
Next, remove the pan and let it infuse for 10 minutes.
Then you need to mix the spices, and sweet peas split in two.
Peel the garlic.
Pull the lard on a plate, let it cool.
After that, rub it with spices and lay garlic cloves cut in half.
Then you should put it on the foil and wrap.
After that, put the package in a plastic bag and shove it in the freezer for 2 hours.
Snack can be eaten.
The recipe consists of:
- Pork lard — 1 kg;
- Garlic — 4 cloves;
- Bay leaf — 5 pieces;
- Ground white pepper;
- Black peppercorns;
- Water — 1 l;
- Salt — 5 tbsp. spoons.
First, wash the fat, peel the skin and cut it into pieces.
Put in a deep bowl, sprinkle with black pepper, add finely chopped garlic and bay leaf.
In cold water, dissolve the salt and fill with lard.
Put pressure on top and leave for 3 days.
Remember that brine must completely cover the contents.
Then remove it, wipe it dry with a towel, sprinkle with pepper and roll in finely chopped garlic.
Salting salat at home is complete.
Let’s take a look at the whole process of this method of salting in the video story below:
In order to preserve the salty lard and all its taste properties in the best way, as well as prolong its shelf life, you can use the following method.
Take a barrel, an old pot with holes, or a wooden box.
Please note that the tank must have small holes.
This is necessary so that the brine has the ability to drain into the pan, while the product will remain dry.
At the bottom of the box, you need to put several layers of newspapers or any paper, put a thick layer of salt on them, and then put pieces of bacon on top and cover it with a layer of salt again.
You can also store this snack in the freezer.
To do this, take small pieces of the product, wrap each of them in a napkin, and then put in a plastic bag.
Thus, lard can persist for many months.
Here are some useful tips that will be useful to you for homemade salting lard:
- Before using black pepper peas it should be ground, then the fat will be very fragrant.
- The product has the ability to absorb exactly as much salt as it needs. So, it is better not to regret the salt when salting.
- The salting process must be performed at a temperature of about +10 C.
- Cook the pickle right before salting. It turns out that boiled water has a number of positive properties. It becomes soft, removes harmful microorganisms, etc. Under normal conditions of long-term storage of boiled water its useful properties are lost.
- After salting the product, check it for salt. Otherwise, in the case of under salt, it may deteriorate.
We still know about the benefits of honey from childhood. But not everyone knows that there are a lot of varieties of this healing product. Consumption of chestnut honey: the benefits and harm.
Sometimes you want to taste real Ukrainian borscht. Not every hostess can cook this dish for glory. Let’s learn! Practical advice from experienced chefs can be found here.
Primordially Russian dish — potatoes with mushrooms. The culinary article describes the best cooking variations of this dish.
Borscht, pampushki, green onion and lard — this is the pleasure from life that you can get every day to a gourmet.
These treats have become part of our genetic memory, left over from our distant ancestors, who understood the sense of tasty food.
Today, fat is not a scarce product.
It can be bought both in the market and in retail chains.
But, it tastes best of all if you cook it with your own hands with the addition of spices that you prefer.
And then at a family dinner or a festive table with guests, you can not only regale loved ones with a delicious dish, but also boast their culinary possibilities.
Finally, another option that was not considered in the article, but may also interest you: