Ryzhiki for the winter — 4 simple recipes for salting in banks
In our family we always harvest a lot of mushrooms for the winter. We freeze them, pickle various varieties in the jars, and of course add salt. Salts prefer mushrooms. We add salt to the wind and a little milk, but we add salt to a whole oak 20-liter barrel. We believe that they are salty — the most delicious.
There are several ways of salting these mushrooms. The main ones are the cold method, the hot salting and the so-called fast method. When mushrooms are salted in a cold way, they change their color and become dark; with a hot and fast method of salting, the color remains.
For salting in any of the ways you need fresh mushrooms. If you collect mushrooms yourself, so that at home there is less work with them, inspect them when you cut them. Do not take wormy mushrooms, carefully cut off the remnants of clay or earth from the legs. Clean up large debris and leaves.
Of course, it is best to collect not very large mushrooms, with a cap diameter of not more than 5 cm. During pickling, these mushrooms will fully retain their appearance, and they are nice to serve on the table and eat.
If you’re lucky, and you collect boron mushrooms, they will remain whole and beautiful in any size, almost without losing their beauty as a result of all the processing and manipulations with them. Such mushrooms grow in pine woods, they are dense, the leg is thick, the mushroom is fleshy, heavy, their cap is slightly closed downwards.
In spruce forests grow thinner mushrooms, they are better to collect not very large ones. When salting, large mushrooms should be cut into 2-4 pieces, and the lamella cap will break when processed. Mushrooms will be delicious, but their appearance will suffer.
And so let’s consider all the main ways of pickling mushrooms so that you can familiarize yourself with them and make the right choice.
How to salt mushrooms in the winter in banks in a cold way
The peculiarity of pickling mushrooms in this way is that we do not heat them. And there are two ways to salting. The first is when we wash the mushrooms, and the second, the so-called “dry” method, in which the mushrooms have no contact with water.
Let’s look at the first method first.
We will need (for convenience, the calculation is given for 1 kg of mushrooms):
- mushrooms — 1 kg
- salt — 2 part tablespoons (50 gr)
- garlic -3-4 cloves (optional)
- dill — optional
- peppercorns — 15 peas
- Carnation — 4 pieces
- horseradish sheet
1. To start the mushrooms and sort out my. We clean them from the forest litter, cut off the darkened cut of the leg, remove the remnants of the earth from it. Worm mushrooms clean. Very often only the leg is wormy, so the cap can be saved and the leg cut off.
If it is a pity to throw out such mushrooms, then put them for 5-7 minutes in cold salty water. All available worms from the fungus will come out. But it is best to discard such mushrooms already at the collection stage.
2. Mushrooms lay on a towel to all the water glass.
3. Salt the mushrooms can be immediately in the banks, but you can first pickle them in the pan, and only then shift them into the banks.
The second method is more preferable, because in the process of salting the mushrooms will give juice and settle. And in the banks they will already be able to add as much as you like. After all, if you store them in the refrigerator, then the place there in the fall is always worth its weight in gold.
4. Consider the method of salting in a saucepan. On the bottom lay out half a sheet of horseradish. Horseradish does not give the opportunity to develop mold, so I always put it in all the pickles. All other greens can be used as desired. I always put dill. But many do not, because they want to preserve the natural taste of mushrooms. Personally, I do not interfere with the light aroma of dill, and even like it.
For the same reason, someone adds, and someone refuses to put, currant leaves, oak leaves (it is always good), but I usually salt in an oak pot right away, and I have no need to lay leaves.
Garlic also causes the same controversial point. I add it a little bit for pointy and piquancy. But someone thinks that garlic does not need anything when pickling mushrooms.
And recently I began to add a sprig of heather and a spruce sprig. I lay on the bottom and the top, and sometimes in the middle. It was suggested to me by one grandmother, with whom we somehow got into conversation on occasion. She said that the twigs retain the forest aroma of the mushrooms and prevent the appearance of mold.
In general, what to add is a matter of taste! And about tastes, as they say, do not argue. The main thing is mushrooms and salt! And everything else, as you like. I add only what I wrote in the ingredients. You can try all the same. And if you already have your own experience, then add, or vice versa, remove something from the proposed.
5. Spices and garlic divided into about 3 parts. One piece on the bottom, one in the middle, and one on top.
6. And so the bottom is laid out, and we begin to lay mushrooms in the pan. Here, too, there is no consensus, someone lays them hats down, someone up. I think this question is not fundamental. How do you think right, so right!
Every two or three layers should be sprinkled with salt. Approximately divide the salt into the required number of parts and lightly add layers of salt to it. Then, when the mushrooms give juice, the whole brine will be of one taste and all the mushrooms will salt out evenly.
It is believed that the consumption of salt should be 1.5 cups of salt per bucket of mushrooms. But I confess honestly, I never measure salt with spoons or glasses, pour it «by eye». But this can already be done when there is experience. And for starters, if you never salted mushrooms, keep the proportions.
7. In the middle of the layers put a little more sprigs of dill, a little garlic, black peppercorns and clove buds.
8. Continue spreading the layers of mushrooms and sprinkle them with salt.
9. Put dill, horseradish and the remaining spices and garlic on top.
10. Put on top of gauze in two or three layers so that it completely covers all the mushrooms. On a gauze to put a plate and oppression in the form of a cobblestone or a jar of water.
After some time, mushrooms will give juice, which is mixed with salt, and there will be pickling. Sustain the mushrooms in this position will need two weeks in a cool place. Every two or three days you will need to wash gauze in hot water, or better yet, change it to a new one.
11. In two weeks it will be possible to put the mushrooms in jars with the pickle and put them in the refrigerator for storage.
And if there is a cellar or a pit, then it is possible and not to shift, but to store mushrooms directly in a saucepan or keg. You can eat in two weeks. That is, the total salting time is one month.
This method differs from the previous one in that when cleaning mushrooms, we do not wash them, but clean them in a dry form. In principle, it is easy, especially if boron mushrooms. As I said, they grow in pine forests in the moss, and when you collect them, they are clean and tidy. Of course, the needles and leaves that fall from the trees fall into the basket. It is from them that we clean the mushrooms.
Also make sure that there is no land on the leg.
The composition of the ingredients is the same as in the previous recipe. In principle, like the cooking process itself.
With this method of salting it is recommended to lay the mushrooms with the caps up and salted each layer.
The process of salting will continue for at least 2-3 weeks. During this time, the mushrooms will give a strong shrinkage. And if you went and scored more mushrooms, they can be salted and reported directly to the same container.
Be sure to cover the top layer with gauze, which also needs to be changed every three days. And pressure is also needed. Without it, the mushrooms will not give the juice and the process of salting will not occur.
It should be noted that both in the first and in the second case, the mushrooms will change their color and become green-brown. My dad called these mushrooms «frogs.» Many people are confused by this fact and they prefer to salt the rye mushrooms using heat treatment.
By this method, we salt the mushrooms in our family. Just because the mushrooms are retaining their beautiful color. And despite the fact that according to the first method, they retain all their useful properties, since they do not undergo heat treatment, we still choose this method!
Therefore, this variety of mushrooms I salt with minimal heat treatment. Also salt my mum mushrooms. And her turn, in turn, was taught by a grandmother, whom her mother had met quite accidentally, in a train. And now, we have been salting mushrooms in this way for many years. Many thanks to the grandmother, whose name we unfortunately do not know.
- mushrooms — 5 kg
- salt — 250 gr
- garlic — 3-4 cloves
- Carnation — 7-8 pcs
- black pepper peas — 15 pcs
- red hot pepper — optional
- horseradish sheet
And as I said above, lately I began to add also a pair of twigs of heather and a young Christmas tree. But this is optional.
1. To sort and clean the mushrooms, clean the forest litter, cut off the rest of the ground there. You also need to select wormy mushrooms, they are better not to use.
I try to collect mushrooms in the forest and immediately clean them of dirt, and throw out worms. And at home I pour them into the bucket, about half, and fill it with water. And then just rinsed, the grass and needles float up, I clean them, and all the mushrooms are clean. This greatly reduces their processing time. And this is very significant when you collect mushrooms in 4 large baskets, and they all need to be processed as quickly as possible.
2. Since I do everything “by eye”, I will be telling in this category. Approximately five-liter bucket washed mushrooms put in the basin. Boiling water in a five-liter saucepan. And boiling water pour mushrooms in the pelvis. Mushrooms at the same time begin to crackle slightly.
Carefully, in order not to damage them, I mix them with a skimmer, no more than 1-2 minutes. During this time the crackling stops, then the mushrooms are ready.
At this stage, mushrooms can be boiled. To do this, boil water and put mushrooms in it. Boil for 5 minutes, while you need to remove the foam. But the mushrooms do not give a lot of foam, so there is nothing special to shoot!
But I reduce the processing time by two or three times, and therefore I only scald the mushrooms. Method proven, do not be afraid that too little time is spent on scalding. Ryzhiki can be eaten even raw, just by salting them with salt.
3. And so after 1-2 minutes gently drain the water, which has acquired a red color. And then throw back the mushrooms in a colander. Also be careful not to damage the appearance. From a bucket of raw mushrooms you get two full scalded colander.
4. Give the opportunity to drain water. And pour them back into the basin. Let them lie down for a while and cool down, so that the hand will suffer when you touch them. Then pour salt. For this amount, I pour from 1.5 to 2 handfuls of salt. If the mushrooms are small, then you need two handfuls of salt, if chopped large, then one and a half.
Add 5-6 peas of black pepper, 2 buds of cloves, a small piece of red hot pepper.
Gently mix the contents with your hands so as not to mash the mushrooms with a spoon. And try the mushroom to taste. It is not only possible to eat it, but also delicious! It should be salty enough, but not salty. In general, the taste should please you so that you want to try another mushroom, and then another …
This means that you salted it all right!
5. While the mushrooms are salting, we are preparing dishes in which we will harvest them for the winter. I have a 20-liter oak barrel. Mushrooms are obtained in this — just delicious!
But it is clear that not everyone has this luxury.
Therefore, you can salt in the banks immediately, if you keep the mushrooms in the refrigerator. Or in a large saucepan, if you keep in a cool place. The ideal storage temperature is from 0 to 7 degrees.
6. At the bottom of the prepared container lay out a sheet of horseradish. A sprig of heather and a spruce sprig, if any. If not, then it is not necessary, for many years I salted mushrooms without them, and everything was also perfect!
Spread dill sprigs over them.
7. Spread mushrooms, as will lay down. Hats up or down doesn’t matter.
8. Now we are engaged in the next batch. All in the same order. Until we fully fill the entire container, be it cans, or a saucepan, or a keg.
9. If the capacity is large, then every two or three layers of mushrooms put dill. Lightly press the layers with your hands to highlight the juice.
10. Top necessarily lay out a sheet of horseradish and dill. And I still spread spruce twig and heather.
11. Be sure to cover the top layer with gauze, and gently press the contents. All mushrooms should be covered with a tasty-smelling reddish pickle. If for some reason the brine and juice were not enough, then add a little from the pan in which the colander was standing and where the water was drained from it. Maybe it will be necessary to add just a couple of glasses. And maybe juice and so will be enough.
If a heather is laid on top, then press down, covering the contents with a flat plate, otherwise you can strongly prick. The plate is generally better left to put on it a suitable oppression.
If salt mushrooms are not in the bank, then the oppression must be sure that the mushrooms are completely in brine. The brine over time should retain a reddish color. If it is gray, then the air temperature is too high, and the process of mold formation has begun in it.
Of course, this mold is not terrible. You can always change the label on which it was actually formed. And you can even wash the top layer of mushrooms, pour them with boiling water. Such mushrooms are suitable for food.
But you must agree, it’s better still, when everything is done correctly, we keep it right, and our mushrooms, on which we worked so hard, no mold will be inaccessible.
Try to have such a pressure so that you can close the lid on the saucepan of pickled mushrooms. If stored in a jar in the fridge, then simply close the plastic lid.
But here, if we store in the basement or pit, then here the lid is simply necessary and obligatory.
12. We drop the mushrooms immediately into the pit and do not touch them for a month and a half. So that they are well salted and become delicious, delicious.
13. In due time, we get our salted mushrooms, put them in a salad bowl, season with finely chopped onions and vegetable oil, or eat with sour cream. And there are no mushrooms tastier and more fragrant than mushrooms. Believe my word!
As you know mushrooms, grow in several layers, starting in mid-July, and ending in September, and sometimes even the beginning of October. There is such a late layer when you go after them, and the earth has already covered with a slight frost since the early morning.
It is these mushrooms that are good for salt in the winter. It has already become cold in the pit, and the temperature for their storage is set just comfortable.
But what to do when gathered mushrooms in July? That’s right, salted in a jar and stored in the refrigerator. Or do a quick pickle and eat immediately, on the same day. How to do it?
And make it easy! We take the number of mushrooms necessary for salting. We wash them and clean them of forest litter. Then put in a saucepan, add spices and herbs that you like and thickly thickly salt.
Then mix everything up and add some more salt on top. Cover with a flat plate or saucer, depending on the size of the pan. And leave for 2 hours. No more time is needed, otherwise the mushrooms will be salted and become very salty.
After the allotted time, wash the mushrooms in cold running water. Throw back in a colander, and give the opportunity to drain all the water.
Now you can season the mushrooms with butter and sprinkle with freshly chopped onion. Everything, wonderful tasty snack is ready! You can eat it with pleasure, serving with boiled potatoes and enjoying the wonderful taste and forest flavor!
I will not specifically dwell on the beneficial properties of mushrooms. About this written whole articles. Let me just say that this is one of the most useful mushrooms. They are easily absorbed by the body. By the number of valuable amino acids, they are comparable only with meat, and the protein component in them is about 4%.
In terms of their energy value, mushrooms are superior to meat, chicken and eggs. But despite this, they can be used even by those who follow a diet.
But like all products, they have contraindications. When gastritis. holicestitis and pankriatitah their contraindicated.
Well, for everyone else, mushrooms are healthy and tasty. And so they are so loved. And harvested for the winter in all known ways. We have prepared too. And I hope that you will prepare thanks to my recipes, which were once shared with me, and I share with you with great pleasure. After all, good recipes should live long, and be passed on from generation to generation, from person to person!