Canned Crunchy Cucumbers — 7 of the Most Delicious Recipes
The season of harvesting vegetables, fruits and berries for the winter is in full swing. And we are not lagging behind, we have already made a lot of jam, frozen berries and mushrooms. Canned salads, cucumbers and tomatoes.
But the harvest is rich, especially a lot of cucumbers this year. Every day you take a small bucket from the bushes. Already as soon as they were not salted this year — both in a package, and in a pan, and in the classical, and original ways. But all this “quick” options, such for the winter you do not store.
For longer storage, they must be conserved. And we have already done this in several very interesting ways — this is a beautiful and tasty «Assorted», a tandem with red currants, and a delicious recipe in tomato sauce. But there are other, no less interesting ways, which are obtained simply wonderful blanks.
In today’s article I would like to share with you proven and fairly simple recipes for which I have been making blanks for more than one year. Ready preservation turns out very tasty and is perfectly stored all winter.
We live in our own house now, and I store all the blanks in the basement. It is warm, as it is in a regular room. And before that, we lived in an apartment, and I stored the blanks either in the pantry, or just under the bed. So all today’s recipes are suitable for storing cans in the apartment.
This is the simplest recipe for preparing our green vegetables. This — must be in the piggy bank of every hostess. When you know, and most importantly, understand how to cook in a simple way, then any, even the most complex, recipe will be able to.
Therefore, I suggest it is from him and start.
We need (3 liter jar):
- cucumbers — 20 — 25 pieces (depending on size)
- garlic — 3 — 4 cloves
- pepper bitter — to taste
- black pepper peas — 10 pcs
- Allspice — 3 pcs
- Clove buds — 4 — 5 pcs
- horseradish sheet — small, or half
- currant leaf — 6 pcs
- cherry leaf — 8 pcs
- dill — 4 — 5 umbrellas with sprigs
- sugar — 3 tbsp. spoons
- salt — 3 tbsp. spoons
- vinegar 9% — 2 tbsp. spoons
On the 3 liter jar will need about 1.5 liters of water, provided that the jar will need to be filled tightly.
1. Wash fruits and pour for 2 — 3 hours with cold water. This will allow them to take the missing moisture, which will subsequently make them tasty and crunchy.
2. Then rinse again under running cold water and cut off the tips. If they are small, then you can cut off the tip on one side only, where there is a “tail”.
Try to keep them in the bank about the same size. This will allow them to marinate evenly.
3. Peel and chop the garlic.
4. Greens and leaves, rinse and scald with boiling water. Then fold to a colander.
5. Jar wash soda thoroughly and sterilize one of the known methods
Rinse the cover for rolling with soda and pour boiling water over it, then cover with a lid to keep warm. Or boil it in a separate saucepan.
6. Put on the bottom of the jar a piece of horseradish leaf, about 5 — 6 cm long. Then put 1/3 of the fennel and leaves of currants and cherries, or about that part.
The leaf of horseradish will not allow the brine to become cloudy, and the leaves of cherry and black currant will not only give their flavor, but also keep the cucumbers crispy.
Greens will be put on the bottom, in the middle and on top. So roughly calculate how much to put.
7. Cucumbers, respectively, will be located in two large layers. Therefore, we lay them on the greens to half a jar.
On each of the layers laid out lay out a little garlic. It must also be distributed evenly throughout the volume of the can.
8. In the middle lay out the second layer of greens and leaves, as well as a mixture of peppers.
9. Next lay out the fruit, right up to the top. Sprinkle with garlic. Leave space on top for another layer of greenery and leaves. From above, be sure to put another piece of horseradish leaf.
Try to lay the fruit very tightly. The thicker you put, the crunchy they will turn out.
10. Top with salt and sugar, slightly shake the jar so that it all wakes down.
11. Put boiled water in a saucepan. Pour two liters into it for the first time. Then we merge the excess.
12. Prepare the vinegar, let it be ready, so as not to forget to pour it when necessary.
13. When water boils, be careful not to burn yourself, pour it into the jar all the way to the top. Cover with a metal lid and let stand for 7 minutes. During this time, gently, but quite intensively, rotate the jar from side to side so that the air bubbles can escape.
In order not to scratch the table with a can while rotating, even before pouring water, put it on a rag or towel.
Do not open the cover!
14. Put a plastic cover with holes on the neck and drain the water into the pan. Put it on the fire again and bring to a boil.
At the same time put another kettle boil. When re-pouring the marinade, it will be a little missed. Therefore, we will need additional boiling water.
While the marinade is boiled, cover the jar with a metal lid.
15. As soon as the marinade boils, and boiling water in the kettle will be ready, pour the marinade first into the jar, then the vinegar, and then pour the missing water from the kettle.
The liquid should reach the very edge of the neck. So that when you close the jar with a lid, it will even slightly overflow. From this moment on it is absolutely forbidden to open the lid.
16. The bank should again stand on a rag or towel. Again, for about 5 minutes (periodically, of course) we will rotate the can and expel air bubbles. They will still go from the place of cut «ass».
Do not open the lid.
17. After 5 — 7 minutes, screw the lid on with a sealer.
18. Then turn the jar and cover with a blanket, leave in this position until it cools completely.
19. Then turn into the usual position and put in storage. A dark cool place, such as a storeroom or basement, is suitable for this. In any case, do not store cans near radiators.
Such preparation is well kept for a year, and even two, if of course it is to be kept until these times.
The product turns out moderately salty, moderately sweet, crunchy and tasty!
Video on preserving crispy cucumbers
According to this option, we, in our family, have been making delicious cucumber preparations for a long time. We can say that this is our family recipe.
Its plus is that the fruits are always very tasty and crispy, and all thanks to only one of the ingredients is aspirin. The fact that we add it to the marinade allows us not to add a lot of vinegar to it. Therefore, vegetables are not sour.
Also, this method allows you to keep well stocking. When rich harvests happen, you make quite a lot of them, and it happens that you don’t even eat them in a season.
So such a billet is quietly stored for two seasons.
Try to cook at least a couple of jars, and I think that you will always cook like this then.
By the way, the recipe was shot specifically for the blog «Secrets of Economics». So I invite you to the channel, subscribe, and press the bell. So you will be the first to see new publications.
This recipe has another cooking option. The composition of the ingredients is the same. But here is the bookmark and fill method, you can use another.
For this we need two pots of water. In one, pour half the volume of water, and in the second pour more, enough to fill.
1. Put half of the greens, leaves and garlic on the bottom of the sterilized jar. Greens must pour boiling water. Put pepper and cloves there.
2. Cucumbers with cut tips put in a colander and when the water in an incomplete saucepan boils, lower it along with the contents into boiling water. To sustain there 2 minutes.
Then quickly put everything in the bank.
3. Top with the second part of greens and garlic. Add salt and sugar.
4. Pour boiling water over half, pour vinegar and top up with the second half of boiling water.
5. Close the lid and roll up the machine.
6. Turn the jar and leave it under the blanket until it cools completely.
I just share with you all the ways and options I know, so that you know them. But I myself use the fill in the first way, because I consider it more reliable in terms of heat treatment.
By the way, both in the first and in the second variant — we use two fillings only under the condition that the fruits are small.
If they are large, then it is better to fill three times. That is, they should be tightened at the third fill.
This is a very good recipe, and in my opinion it produces the most delicious cucumbers. Although it is probably not quite true to call this or that recipe the most delicious. After all, everyone has different tastes, and if for one the most delicious vegetables are obtained according to one recipe, then for another — according to another.
Someone likes sweet preparations more, someone, on the contrary, salty. Someone prefers cask taste, and someone more like a sour marinade.
Therefore, before I proceed to the description of the recipe, I immediately want to make a reservation that this is the easiest and most delicious recipe of all that I prepare, in my opinion. I cook on it for a long time. And he got me from my mother, she still preserves them in this way. That is, it can be considered our family property.
And how many I have already written leaflets with its description, and distributed to girlfriends. And I know that many of them are now just for him and cook. This means that they recognized him as the most delicious. Which is incredibly nice.
I already have a similar description on my blog. According to this scheme, I canned Assorted, where, along with cucumbers, pickled tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and zucchini. Therefore, I decided not to repeat and write how to just preserve cucumbers.
This recipe has one peculiarity — as a preservative, I use quite a bit of vinegar essence and aspirin. And I do not use sterilization. Interesting?!
The advantage of this marinade is that the fruits do not get sour. I tried a lot of pickups while visiting. And many of them have the same drawback — they are too sour! And for this acid no other taste is felt. In this case, it turns out that the billet was preserved for the winter, but there is a great loss in taste.
The method proposed below corrects this deficiency completely. And in the winter with each open jar, we have invariably tasty cucumbers in a bright transparent brine. And you can crunch them at least just like that, even add to any salad, even cook with them the first and second courses.
If you want this recipe, read on. It is very simple and reliable.
We will need a 3 liter jar:
- cucumbers — 20 — 25 pieces (depending on size)
- small tomatoes — 3-4 pieces
- garlic — 3 — 4 cloves
- dill — 6 — 7 umbrellas (or less, but with sprigs)
- horseradish sheet — 0.5 pcs
- black currant leaf — 4 pcs
- cherry leaf — 7 — 8 pcs
- tarragon — 1 sprig
- black pepper peas — 10 pcs
- allspice peas — 3 — 4 pcs
- red hot peppers — to taste
- carnation — 5 buds
- salt — 3 tbsp. spoons
- sugar — 2 tbsp. spoons
- Acetic essence 70% — a little more than half a teaspoon
- aspirin — 2.5 tablets
On a three-liter jar usually takes 1.5 liters of water, plus — minus a little. This is provided that the bank is filled very tightly. What, in principle, and should be sought.
1. Wash the fruit, put it in a bowl or bucket and pour cold water over it. If the fruits are collected quite recently, then leave them in water for 2 — 3 hours. If the time after their collection has passed enough, then hold them in water for 4 — 5 hours. This will keep them crispy for the entire period of long winter storage.
Always soak the vegetable with a reserve, on the principle of «let it be better to stay than not enough.» You can never exactly count how many fruits we can put in a jar, it depends on their size.
2. After the time has elapsed, drain the water and rinse the fruit again under running water. Then cut the tips. Try the tip of the tail, it should not be bitter.
3. Fold the fruit on the towel so that the glass has excess water.
4. Rinse all the leaves, tarragon and dill. Dip them with boiling water, hold them for a minute, and pull them out. Also put everything on the towel.
5. Peel the garlic, splitting it into cloves. If they are not very large, then leave them entirely. If large, then cut into pieces.
Garlic turns out very tasty in a marinated state, and therefore I try to leave the cloves whole. And sometimes even violate the recipe and add teeth a little more than it should be according to the recipe. Taste in general, it does not interfere.
But do not be zealous with this, the excess garlic makes the finished product soft.
6. Wash the tomatoes. Make a toothpick two — three punctures in the place of attachment of the twigs.
You can not add tomatoes, but we will need them to give taste and better preservation. Tomatoes contain natural acid, and in part they can also be considered a kind of preservative.
7. Also cook all the peppers, salt, sugar and 70% vinegar essence. I always use essence in conservation, it is much easier for me to use it, and I am never mistaken with it.
Because often there are recipes where “vinegar” is simply written — “there is so much”, and you only have to guess what percentage of this vinegar is. Because of this, there are often mistakes, and if the vinegar is not refilled, the jar can explode, and if it is poured, the cucumbers will turn out to be too acidic.
Prepare everything at once, so as not to forget anything in a hurry. When my daughter was not yet as adult as now, she could, for example, forget to put salt in a jar. And in the winter, opening such a jar, we received them completely unsalted.)))
8. Wash the soda and metal lid (not self-screwing) with soda and sterilize with one of the known methods. It is better to do this in advance, so as not to put the ingredients in a hot container.
9. Now that everything is ready with us, we will start bookmarking.
The first layer lay out half a serving of a sheet of horseradish. Some other leaves and dill. Whole greens will lay out in three layers — below, above and in the middle, so divide the contents into 3 parts.
10. Immediately lay down the whole pepper in its variety. Add red hot chilli pepper (it may be green, but always spicy) to taste. Consider the degree of its sharpness and your taste preferences. I usually cut a piece of 1.5 — 2 cm from the pod.
And remember that it is the sharpest seed, so it’s better to clean them if you decide to add this part of the pod.
11. Start spreading the fruit. Down to invest larger, smaller upward. Pour in random order garlic cloves.
Spread them as tightly as possible, literally squeezing wherever possible.
12. In the middle lay out a second layer of green and two tomatoes.
13. Then again cucumbers and garlic. Then two more tomatoes and a layer of greens.
Leave some room for salt and sugar. They are also immediately poured into the bank in the right quantity.
14. Put warm water, we will need 1.5 liters of boiling water. You can boil the right amount in the kettle.
15. Put the jar on a rag or napkin. Pour boiling water into it to the very top and cover with sterilized metal lid.
Air bubbles will start appearing from the cut-off points. They need help getting out of the jar. To do this, put your hands on the sides of the banks and begin to turn it from side to side, as if slightly shaking. So keep the jar 5 — 7 minutes, periodically shaking it.
16. Then remove the metal cover and put on a plastic with holes. Prepare a saucepan and pour the brine into it. Put the pot on the fire and bring the contents to a boil. Let it boil for 1 to 2 minutes.
In the meantime, the kettle will also be boiled, we will need additional boiling water.
17. In the meantime, the water boils, crush aspirin tablets. Let me remind you that for a 3 liter jar, we need 2.5 tablets.
18. Put it in a jar, right on top. And as soon as the pickle boils for a couple of minutes, immediately pour it back into the jar.
As we can see, there is not enough liquid. For this, we should already have a kettle with boiling water ready. But first you need to prepare vinegar essence. And holding a spoon with essence in one hand and a teapot into the other, pour both at the same time. Essence all, and boiling water as much as needed, so that it was poured at the very neck.
19. Immediately cover the jar with a metal lid.
From this point on, the lid can no longer be opened under any pretext!
20. Let the jar stand in this position for 5 minutes while rotating the jar again, expelling air bubbles.
21. Then tighten the cover with a sealer.
If large cucumbers were placed in the jar, then there should be three fillings. And only with the third you can tighten the lid.
22. Jar turn and cover with a blanket. Leave in this position until cool.
23. Then turn it over again, and place it already, as usual. Store in a dark, cool place.
Such preparation is stored perfectly, and at least a year, at least two. Long-term storage does not affect the taste.
They are moderately salty and sweet, slightly sour, crispy and have a pleasant taste. Brine has the same pleasant taste, it turns out it is light and transparent. And you can drink it if you wish, it also turns out very tasty.
Here is a recipe! Although it turned out great, but in reality everything is very simple. And most importantly — what is the result!
By the way, did not say about one of the advantages of this recipe. Every year I preserve my cucumbers on it, for perhaps 35 years now. Over the years, not one of the cans has “taken off”. Over the years I have lived both in the south and in the north; both in the apartment, and in the house — and in any conditions jars are stored perfectly!
According to the recipe given above, it is also possible to cook wound vegetables. This is very convenient, especially when canned in three-liter jars. In this case, it turns out immediately two delicious snacks.
As I said, the recipe is exactly the same. The only thing we need is less cucumbers and more tomatoes.
Tomatoes in this case, use not very large. Excellent plum varieties, such as «ladies fingers.» They are quite fleshy, with a rather thick skin that allows you to keep the tomato in its entirety. And so that the tomato does not burst, it is necessary to chop it with a toothpick in two or three places near the “ass”.
Or you can use cherry variety tomatoes, they are small and elastic, and very tasty in the blanks. Both with use of one tomatoes, and with other vegetables.
When laying out, first put greens and spices, then cucumbers. Then again greens, and already tomatoes. Top and lay out the greens.
Fillings are also two, as already described. As preservatives, we use salt, sugar, vinegar essence and aspirin (2.5 tablets per 3 liter jar).
So this recipe is universal. For him, we were preparing a platter, for it today I offered you a recipe for cucumbers, and now this is the option.
But in fact, there are quite a few recipes for cooking cucumbers with tomatoes. And here is one of these recipes, I would like to offer you to watch in video format.
Tomatoes themselves are an excellent preservative, as they contain a lot of acid in their composition. And they are even invited to close the screw caps.
So choose a recipe to your taste and cook as you like, and for the recipe that you liked the most.
According to previous recipes, we made blanks without sterilizing cans. And on the example of this recipe, I would like to tell you how to preserve with sterilization.
Usually sterilization requires fruits in which vinegar is not added. And although in this recipe we will add citric acid in the marinade, but we cannot do without additional protection for successful storage.
We will need (for a 3-liter jar):
- cucumbers — 2 kg
- garlic — 3 — 4 cloves
- dill with seeds — 2 tbsp. spoons
- horseradish — 0.5 leaf (or 1 tsp. grated)
- black pepper peas — 4 — 5 pcs
- allspice — 3 — 4 pcs
For brine based on 1 liter of water:
- salt — 1/4 cup or 3 incomplete tablespoons
- sugar — 1 tbsp. spoon
- citric acid — 1 tbsp. spoon
1. Wash jars and lids with soda and sterilize.
2. Pre-soak the fruits in cold water for 2 — 3 hours. Then carefully wash and cut off the tips.
Do not use very large specimens; small or medium-sized vegetables are suitable for this recipe.
3. Put all seasonings and herbs in the jar. Then put the cucumbers. For better salting it is better to arrange them in an upright position. But you can spread in this way, especially if the fruits are small.
4. On the three-liter jar will need about 1.5 liters of water. Therefore, all the ingredients for the brine will need to be taken in the right quantity.
5. Put the water in the pan on the gas. Add salt, sugar and citric acid and bring to a boil.
6. Pour the boiling brine into the jars below the neck. Cover with a metal lid.
7. Put a rag napkin in a large saucepan and pour in some water. Slightly heat it on the gas and put the jar with all its contents. If necessary, add more hot water.
Ideally, the water should reach the shoulders of the banks, or slightly less.
8. Bring to a boil and note the time. For sterilization, we need 20 minutes from the moment of boiling. This is for a three-liter cans.
9. After the allotted time to get the jar with tongs, make sure that the lid does not open. If air gets into the jar, then it probably will not be able to be stored for a long time, and in the worst case it will “explode” at all.
So take your time and reach out carefully.
If such a nuisance has happened, and the lid is still slightly shifted, then boiling water should be added just below the neck, cover the lid again and sterilize again for 15 minutes. But in this case, the cucumbers will not be crispy, they will simply be digested.
10. Screw the cap on using a special typewriter. Turn the jar, put it on the lid and cover with a blanket. Leave in this position until cool.
11. Then flip to normal position and store in a dark, cool place.
Canned sweet cucumbers in liter jars
It is very convenient to preserve cucumbers in one-liter jars, especially when the family is not very big. You will open such a jar in the winter, and you will immediately eat it into the hunt. And in the fridge, it is definitely not stagnant.
In one-liter jars, you can preserve any of the recipes offered today. But for a change, I offer here this version of the sweet billet.
- cucumbers — depending on size
- garlic — 2 cloves
- dill — 2 umbrellas
- horseradish sheet — 1/3 part
- cherry leaf — 2 — 3 pcs
- currant leaf — 2 pcs
- carnation — 1 bud
- black pepper peas — 5 pcs
- allspice — 1 pc
- Acetic essence 70% — 0.5 tsp
Per liter jar is very densely filled with fruit will need about half a liter of water. At this amount, and given the required amount of salt and sugar.
- salt — 1 tbsp. spoon
- sugar — 2.5 tbsp. spoons
1. Pour cucumbers with cold water and let stand 2 — 3 hours. Then wash them in clean water and cut off the tips. Put on a towel so that the water is glass.
2. Wash the herbs, you can scald it with boiling water and also put it on a towel. Garlic peel. And immediately prepare all the spices, salt and sugar.
3. Put half of a piece of horseradish leaf into a sterilized jar. If approximately, then this is a strip of 4 — 5 cm from the normal sheet. Then put the umbrella of dill on a leaf of cherry and currant.
Immediately put all the spices and spices and garlic.
4. Posting cucumbers. Try to take them small size and stack very tightly to each other. In the first row, you can put them on each other’s friend vertically. And only then put the smallest of them on top, that is, horizontally.
5. Leave a place for dill, another cherry leaf, currants and horseradish.
6. Boil the boiling water in the kettle and pour the contents up to the neck. Cover with a sterilized cap. Leave on for 10 — 15 minutes. The criterion of readiness can be the fact that you can safely take the bank in hand.
7. In the meantime, boil water for brine, add the proper amount of salt and sugar to it, and as a boil, pour in vinegar essence, then let it boil again.
8. Pour warm water out of the jar and pour boiling brine just below the neck. If there is not enough brine, then add boiling water from the kettle. And the best is to make a pickle with a margin.
9. Immediately cover. Let stand in the closed state for two — three minutes to let air bubbles out, if any remain. But do not open the lid.
10. Then tighten it with a special seamer.
11. Turn the jar and put it neck down under a blanket or blanket. Leave in this position until cool. Then turn it over again and put in a dark cool storage place.
Such preparation is stored well, and can be stored in an apartment in the pantry.
If you want to make several liter jars, then simply proportionally multiply the amount of all the ingredients by the number of jars.
According to the same recipe, it is possible to procure at least three-liter, at least two-liter jars. And also fit 750 gram jars with screw caps.
In fact, of course, all today’s recipes are intended for storage in an apartment, and this is a proven fact many times. But here is another one of these recipes that can come in handy in your piggy bank.
It is not quite normal, and its unusualness is that such a preparation is prepared in a marinade using mustard. Try this option and canning. He is also good, and has many fans.
Slightly spicy, sour — sweet cucumbers are obtained as a result of this preparation.
Also here, you can see how to sterilize and twist the jars. For young hostesses who are just gaining experience, this will be very useful.
And if you like such sharp little savory cucumbers, then there is a whole article on this subject. It gives a lot of interesting recipes using mustard, both in finished form, in seeds and just in powder. Recipes can be found closer by clicking on the link.
And maybe someone will be interested in sour vegetables. And for such lovers there is also a certain way in Bulgarian.
In today’s recipes, I tried to offer you only time-tested recipes. All of them are united by the fact that they always produce very tasty and crispy billets. So feel free to choose any of the recipes and make preparations for the winter.
And at the end of the article I would like to share a few useful tips that you will need when canning.
How to preserve cucumbers so that they are tasty and crispy
These tips will be useful to you in any of the selected ways, so be sure to take them to the note.
- Before canning, be sure to soak the fruits in cold water for several hours
- cut off the tips on both sides and try the fruits so that they are not bitter
- fill the jars with fruits very tightly, so that no one of them can stick in anymore
- so that all the fruits are salted evenly, take them of the same size on each of the cans
- always use a sheet of horseradish, it will not allow brine to grow dim
- use the leaves of cherry and black currant, they give the necessary crispness to fruits
- a sprig of tarragon gives a taste of barrel cucumbers and keeps them dense and solid
- do not put a lot of garlic, it softens the fruit
- use large, non-iodized salt for salting
- For better storage of blanks in an apartment at room temperature before seaming, pour them two or three times with boiling water directly into the jar, each time draining the cooled water. To sustain it 5 — 7 minutes, then merge. Only for the third time the bay pickle, and pouring vinegar already roll.
- Be sure to sterilize empty jars and lids.
- do not use preservation, on which the lid has bulged. It is life threatening!
These are the basic rules that will allow all winter to eat delicious cucumbers.
If after reading, or during canning, you have any questions, then ask them in the comments. If I am in touch, I will try to answer you quickly. But of course it is better to ask questions in advance, since I am not always at the computer. But sometimes they ask a question directly from the place of cooking, and I can only see it after two or three hours. And imagine how worried a man who does not respond in time.
Please treat this with understanding!
But I hope that I wrote everything clearly and in detail, in any case, I tried to make it happen!
Cook, and let you always get the most delicious billet.