Design options and detailed recipes for rustic cakes
Rustic cooking (from the Latin rusticus — “rustic”) involves the use of natural products, simple, concise design of dishes. To prepare cakes and cream for the cake in this style, you can use different recipes, but preference is given to those that contain ingredients that are typical for rural cuisine (butter, milk, sour cream, flour, cheese, honey, fruits, berries).
Making the cake depends on the situation for which it is baked. For home festive tea, you can restrict fruit and berry decoration, and for the wedding cake is permissible to use more complex design elements.
You can formulate a few basic tips for making a cake in a rustic style: cakes should be made fairly thick, and the dough should be soft and crumbly, you can use a lot of cream, fresh berries and fruits (especially seasonal ones).
Following the spirit of the village, the edges of the cakes are best not to process — do not align, do not cover with glaze or mastic.
But there are no strict rules for decorating such a cake, so you can always rely on your imagination and personal ideas about the rustic style.
For the cakes in this recipe used sponge cake ginger dough. When preparing them, it is important to beat the ingredients very well, so if possible you should use a blender or a mixer.
To prepare the dough, you must perform the following steps:
- freshly sifted flour, baking powder and spices are thoroughly mixed in a deep bowl;
- in another bowl, beat eggs with sugar until the mass increases in volume and becomes air;
- butter is heated in a water bath, then, when it cools a little, cream and milk are poured into it;
- now it is better to invite an assistant who will beat the dough with a mixer or in another way, while gently and in turn pour in a mixture of milk, cream and butter and pour in the flour;
- add honey into well-beaten dough (you can substitute maple syrup in the same amount) and mix it again;
- Cakes baked in the oven with an exposed temperature of 175 degrees. The form is smeared and put a parchment sheet on the bottom. Up to one third of the dough leaves on one cake, in the proportions obtained about three cake layers. Baking takes 25-30 minutes (for each cake), then another five minutes is the cake in the oven off, then it must be removed from the mold, turned over and left to cool on a wire rack. The upper convex part of the cake cut with a knife to make the cake smooth.
Cheese cream preparation:
- in order for the cream to be smooth and tasty, the cheese must be cold. Oil, on the contrary, can be removed from the refrigerator for a couple of hours before cooking (but it is not necessary to melt it);
- products are put in a bowl and beat with a mixer for about 5-7 minutes, until the mass becomes creamy, without lumps;
- to give color to the cream, you can use a couple of teaspoons of mashed fresh or frozen berries;
- the resulting cream smear every cake, including the top.
Two design options are possible:
- the side of the cake is not smeared with cream;
- smear the cream on the sides and level it with a spatula or spatula. Curd cream keeps its shape well and does not flow. At the same time, traditionally for rustic-style cakes, fragments of cake layers are left, which are peeking through the cream in order to withstand the simplicity and deliberate negligence of the design and add as many natural shades as possible.
Spread berries on top of the cake in any order. It is better to lay them whole, and cherries and cherries can be even with cuttings. So the design will look more impressive.
In this matter, you should rely on your taste and particularities of the situation. If you plan a small tea party, a children’s holiday, then you can not work for a long time on the design and leave the cake and the edges of the cake unprocessed. In any case, it will look beautiful if you put bright berries, fruits on top, sprinkle them with nut shavings or powder.
Rustic wedding cake should match the atmosphere, style and decor of the holiday. It should be neat, so it is best to level the walls with additional cream and scapula.
The peculiarity of a wedding cake is that it is usually made multi-tiered, so you need to bake cakes of different diameters. You can decorate each tier or only the top, it is left to the couple.
You can make a cake decorated with decorative elements that imitate rustic items, plants, flowers, fruits. This is usually done with mastic, marzipan, and other confectionery products.
Professional pastry chefs can make a cake that looks like hemp cut and stacked. If this is in harmony with the decoration of the wedding, then this method of decoration is acceptable, although it will not look as natural as the «bare» cakes.
Cake for the wedding will have to be baked in several stages, but the dough and cream in the present version can keep an attractive look and fresh taste for a long time if you put the finished tiers in the refrigerator.
Products are indicated for the lower tier with a diameter of about 30 cm (3-4 cakes). For the next, you should take half the amount of ingredients and a form with a diameter of 15-18 cm.
Then you can once again reduce the number of products and bake the third tier of even smaller diameter. It can be baked in the form for Easter and then cut into cakes with a knife, fishing line or string.
- 320 g of wheat flour (sift before adding to the dough);
- 4 eggs;
- 300 g sugar (white or brown);
- 400 ml of milk (beforehand get out of the fridge);
- 100 g plums oils;
- 1 lemon (only need its peel);
- 1 tsp. baking powder, soda, vanilla sugar;
- 1 small pinch of salt;
- fresh berries or fruits and nuts to decorate in any quantity.
- 800 g Mascarpone;
- 200 g of powdered sugar;
- 2 tsp. lemon juice.
Cooking time: 3 hours
Caloric content per 100 g: 338 kcal.
Melt the butter in a microwave or in a water bath and leave to cool. Flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda are mixed in a bowl. Egg whites are whipped to steady foam form.
In a bowl, add yolks, butter, milk, zest to the flour and mix thoroughly. Then, while stirring constantly, add whipped proteins. Mix homogeneous, without lumps, dough.
The temperature of the oven for baking is 170 degrees. It must be heated in advance. If one cake is baked, which will then be cut, it will take about 30-35 minutes. On separate layers — 25-30.
It is advisable to pierce the top of the cake with a fork in several places after 10 minutes of baking so that it is not so strongly inflated. After the dough is baked, turn off the oven, pull the cake out of the mold, turn it over and allow it to cool just on the wire rack. If there are bubbles on the surface or it is too uneven, the top can be cut off.
All products for the cream are mixed and whipped well for 5-7 minutes. The cream can be prepared immediately for all tiers, calculating the number of ingredients. It can be stored in the refrigerator and it does not lose its properties.
To collect the cake, you need to bake all the cakes, cook the cream. The present dessert will be more delicious, so you can collect the tiers separately and leave them in the refrigerator for the night.
Immediately before the celebration, the tiers need to be put on each other, to flatten the visible surface of each of them with a spatula, add cream to the sides and align them, leaving the parts of the biscuit to look out.
Then you can start decorating. The easiest way is to lay out fresh berries and fruits on the surface of the tiers, sprinkle them on top with powdered sugar and nut crumbs. You can choose products of different colors to make the cake brighter.
Rustic style wedding cake decorations
Rustic style suggests naturalness and unobtrusiveness. It is not necessary to lay out intricate patterns from berries and fruit.
It is better to put them in an artistic mess, keeping as much as possible (of course, it is better to cut the peaches, apricots and other fruits with stones or large ones). Fresh products are laid out on the cake shortly before the celebration, so that they do not wilt or darken.
If grapes are used as decoration, then, if possible, you can add its leaves to the tray and the upper tier, as well as lay out a whole brush next to the bottom floor of the cake.
You can use in the decoration branches of rosemary, lavender, other aesthetically-looking plants, cinnamon sticks (you should spread out whole branches in reasonable quantities so that they can be easily removed before eating the cake).
Using mastic, glaze to cover the rustic-style cake is better to limit to monotonous natural colors, to choose natural fabrics — linen, canvas for decoration, which will help to create a rustic atmosphere.
Fruits and berries can be used artificial, made from marzipan, and you can combine them with natural ones.
Choosing the design for the cake should take into account the color scheme and decor style of the wedding. The advantage of such cakes is that they look harmonious in almost any setting.
Despite the calorie content, these cakes are very light, and the sweet taste of biscuit and cream is set off by the sourness of fruits and berries. Guests and newlyweds will definitely like this original dessert.
Rustic cake with colorful decoration of berries and fruits will be an unforgettable conclusion of any festive feast.