Khachapuri is a national Georgian dish, which is a cake with cheese. There is no single recipe for this dish, there are various options and variations of this famous flatbread. They bake it either from yeast dough or from fresh, unleavened yeast. And the first option is cooked in the oven, and the second, faster — in the pan.
Such a fast, or it is also called “lazy” khachapuri is a great idea for breakfast, and not only … In my family, they will only be happy if I fry them in a pan for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And in fact, you can cook this tasty and satisfying dish very quickly, everyone eats too quickly. One — two such flat cakes with cheese are enough to eat to an adult man.
Today we will be engaged in the preparation of khachapuri from unleavened pastry. Immediately make a reservation, we will have it in Russian. I did not find matsoni and Imereti cheese, and I will cook from those products that are sold in our stores freely — these are kefir, sour cream, cottage cheese and cheese or Adygei cheese.
We will need, on 3 khachapuri:
- flour — 4 glasses
- egg — 2 pcs.
- kefir — 1 cup
- soda — 1.3 tsp
- butter — 2 tbsp. spoons
- cottage cheese — 150 gr.
- White cheese — 150 gr.
- salt — 0.5 tsp
- melted butter — for frying
1. Sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the middle and put two eggs, salt in it. Stir with a fork, gradually mixing flour into the eggs. We try to keep the hole.
2. Add kefir, soda in the middle, gradually knead the dough. Knead the dough with a spoon or fork. It should not be very thick, but not liquid. So that we could make a cake from this dough. What should make the dough, you can see, watching the video. Add some flour if necessary.
3. Leave the dough so that it lasts a little and disperses. For now we will be engaged in a stuffing.
4. It is not necessary to grate cheese, very salty. Mix it with cottage cheese, add butter. Mix the stuffing. The filling can actually be cheesy. Well suited for the filling cheese Suluguni and Adygei cheese in equal proportions.
5. The dough has stood, it needs to be stirred again. Then moisten hands with vegetable oil, pinch off the third part of the dough, lightly sprinkle it with flour. Put on the table, which should also be sprinkled with flour, and form either with your hands or with a rolling pin, a large thin flat cake.
6. Put 1/3 of the filling in the middle. Bend up the edges, forming a bag so that the entire filling was hidden. Turn to the other side and slightly pressing to stretch the finished cake. We try to do it very delicately, so as not to squeeze the stuffing.
7. Put in a hot pan. Generally, when khachapuri is fried, they are fried in a dry frying pan. But I add some ghee. So they are, in my opinion, more satisfying and tasty.
8. Fry for about 5 minutes, then turn over to the other side with a wide blade. Cover and fry for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
9. Serve hot with sweet tea. Although they say that in Georgia they serve khachapuri with lemonade. But we like to drink this delicious cake with hot tea.
10. Do the same with the remaining two pieces of dough and filling.
While khachapuri is hot, they have very tasty dough. I even sometimes, when there is no bread in the house, I just bake such flat cakes without cheese and cottage cheese. They fly away like hotcakes, only you get such a cake from the pan, they don’t even let it cool down. Immediately the cake breaks into pieces, and is eaten before the next one roasts. But they are good, only when hot. Cooled become hard.
But here they are stuffed, which means it tastes even better. Sometimes I put Adyghe cheese and any hard cheese in the same proportion as 150 grams as a filling. 150 gr. Fresh Adygei cheese with slightly salted hard cheese give a wonderful combination. As in today’s recipe, lightly salted cheese and sweet and sour cottage cheese.
I offer a small video plot where you can clearly see how to make khachapuri. Cheese is used as a filling.
This recipe, as you have time to replace provides for the filling inside. Here is another recipe where the filling is no longer inside, but is part of the test itself.
- flour — 4 tbsp. spoons
- egg — 2 pcs.
- baking powder — 1/3 tsp
- hard cheese — 200 gr.
- sour cream — 100-150 gr.
- salt — to taste
- greens — at will
- vegetable or ghee — for frying
1. Grate the cheese on a medium grater. Add eggs, baking powder, flour, salt to taste. Cheese is of course a little salty and you can not salt it at all, but at least I always add a pinch.
2. Add sour cream to the mixture and mix everything well. The dough will not be very thick, but not liquid. About how thick sour cream.
3. Heat the pan, grease it with vegetable oil or better still with melted butter. Pour the resulting dough into the pan. If desired, sprinkle with chopped greens.
4. Fry with the lid closed on both sides until an appetizing golden crust appears. Serve hot.
Another recipe for quick khachapuri was inspired by cooking quick pizza in a pan. I tried to do the same by adding Adygei cheese, or cottage cheese, or simple hard cheese — all the options turned out well. Taste is of course different everywhere, but everywhere is delicious and everywhere there is a zest.
And this is another kind — here the filling is not in the middle, and not in the dough. She is laid out on top here, and khachapuri are obtained open.
- flour — 1 glass
- sour cream — 1 cup
- baking powder — 1/3 tsp
- egg — 2 pcs.
- the filling is cottage cheese, Adyghe cheese or hard cheese (optional) -300 gr.
- salt, ground black pepper — to taste
- greens — at will
- vegetable or ghee — to lubricate the pan
1. In a bowl, drive two eggs and add sour cream, salt a little and whisk.
2. Add flour and baking powder. All mix until smooth. The dough will turn out like a thick sour cream.
3. Preheat the pan and oil it. Pour the dough, put the stuffing on top. Today I have cottage cheese and some hard cheese. Curd sprinkle on top of a small amount of salt and pepper. Optionally, you can add chopped greens.
Top with cheese, which must first be grated on a grater.
4. Cover with lid and fry until done. If you use cheese, then you need to fry until it is completely melted. I check the readiness of my cake by lifting it over the bottom edge. He reddened and means fully prepared. Fry for about 10 minutes on low heat. Also when pressing a finger on the dough, it should not stick to it.
5. Ready khachapuri, pick up with a wide spatula on one side, bring the pan to the plate, tilt it and smoothly, helping the spatula to allow it to move freely in the plate. Lift the cake with a spatula is not necessary, it is heavy and will break.
6. Serve hot, cut into pieces.
Here are three very different recipes for cooking this Georgian national dish in the Russian way. Choose any to your liking. All recipes can be interchanged. So instead of kefir, you can add sour cream, or a mixture of milk and sour cream. Instead of one of the toppings, you can do another. Or make double fillings.
I never really suffer with what to do. I always do from what is in the refrigerator. It is worth for example in the refrigerator kefir, left a glass, neither there nor here. Nobody wants to finish it. Or some kefir and some sour cream. Quickly knead one of the test options. Either cheese or cottage cheese is always there. Here in a few minutes and ready cheesecake. And it is eaten right there in a flash, they also ask for supplements.
And because it is delicious! And let you be delicious.